Saturday 7 October 2017

Cantonese Opera | Audio Slideshow


Cantonese Opera by Tewfic El-Sawy on Exposure

My taking a few weeks of hiatus from posting was due to long distance travel to Hong Kong and Shanghai which consumed much of my free time, my getting busy with a couple of longer term photographic projects (such as Cantonese Opera, as per above audio slideshow), and being in need to recharge my batteries, and to regroup my long term plans for the type of photography I do.

Although I have a number of posts impatiently waiting to appear on this blog, they'll have to wait a while longer until I return from Kuala Lumpur at the end of October, and where I'll be attending and photographing the Ninth Emperor Gods Festival

The festival is a nine-day Taoist celebration beginning on the eve of 9th lunar month of the Chinese calendar, and it coincides with October 19 this year.

My interest in this festival is two-fold: the primary reason is that it involves mediums and trances, and these may have a connection to my earlier work with the spirit mediums of Vietnam, and the second reason is that the festival is host to Chinese (Cantonese) Opera troupes who perform to entertain the deities and devotees...so a double barreled objective.   

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure